spoon

Latest Adventures

(Not-So) Vegetarian Pasta

0

Category :

Rummaging through my pantry and fridge, I came across several items that had impending expiration dates, so I had to use them as soon as possible. So I figured I would make a vegetarian pasta dish, only because I forgot there was some cooked chicken strips from Costco in the freezer.

Here are the ingredients:
* Small elbow macaroni, a little over half a pound
* 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
* 1½ cups of heavy cream
* 1 package of baby spinach
* 1 package of white button mushrooms
* 1 small block of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
* ½ stick of unsalted butter

I cooked the pasta according to directions, then set it aside. In a skillet, melt butter and add about 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, then sauté mushrooms. Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the spinach to wilt, then add the heavy cream and Greek yogurt. Let the sauce simmer, and add as much salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese to taste. I also added some garlic powder for an extra flavor boost. Add cooked pasta to sauce and reheat through, then serve. I topped with more Parmesan and some freshly cracked black pepper.

I liked that the yogurt cut through the sweetness of the cream, and added a tangy dimension to the sauce. The nutty flavor of the Parmesan was also delightful in this dish. Not bad for something I just made up, but I think I needed chicken. I did add some chicken, and it was great. Here's the close-up:

0 comments: