spoon

Latest Adventures

Weiland's Brewery, Downtown Los Angeles

0

Category : ,

For the last several months, I've been making it a point to visit Weiland's Brewery, aka the Brewery at least once every pay period (two weeks). I just really like the place, and I'm willing to walk a little farther just to go there. It's located at the corner of 1st Street and Central Avenue in Downtown Los Angeles.

I usually ask for the lunch specials, which are almost always some types of pasta dishes with chicken, veggies and a marinara sauce. Once in a while, they change it up and use an alfredo sauce, which to me is far better than any marinara. But most of the time, I order my usual: Philly cheese steak with garlic fries, plus an order of chicken wings (dry) to share. I love the grilled peppers and onions on the cheese steak sandwich, and the garlic fries are the best garlic fries I've ever had. In fact, they are famous for their garlic fries. It's just good food at reasonable prices.

The first picture is of the chicken wings. It is a pound of chicken wings served with some carrot and celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing. They can come in three different sauces, but we prefer them plain, or as they call it, "dry."



Below is a picture of the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich with the garlic fries. It is pieces of flank steak with grilled red and green peppers and onions with provolone cheese served in a french roll. You might be able to see the little pieces of garlic on the fries. That is lots of fresh garlic, so I suggest bringing a lot of mints or gum when you go. I forgot to take the picture before I had some, I guess I was really hungry. =D


Other dishes that are good include the crab cake sandwich, which is a big piece of crab cake served with a red pepper aioli on a french roll. The Penne Florentine is good too, if you're in the mood for pasta. It's penne with chicken, tomato, spinach and mozzarella.

The Brewery also has a great happy hour line-up of appetizers, which include the chicken wings and a basket of the garlic fries. I highly recommend going to happy hour for the food as well as the drinks. They make the best canteloupe martinis in town (well, as of a couple of years ago they did).

0 comments: