spoon

Latest Adventures

Isabella's Italian Seafood, Monterey

0

Category :

On our last family vacation in Monterey, we stopped by Isabella's Italian Seafood, located at the historic Fisherman's Wharf. Every time we are in this beautiful city, we always stop by this restaurant simply because it has great food.

The first time we visited this place, we were given a free sample of the clam chowder, and it was quite tasty. It was creamy, the clams were cooked nicely, it was just a well rounded cup of soup. Needless to say, we were hooked. That night, I ordered the pasta special, now called the Pasta Isabella. The menu describes it as, "lobster meat, crab meat, and jumbo shrimp sauteed in Gilroy garlic cream sauce tossed with fresh spinach fettuccine." If that doesn't make your mouth water, then we seriously need to talk. It was quite easily the BEST pasta dish I've ever had. The seafood was cooked to perfection, and the garlic cream sauce was akin to "icing on the cake." Fabulous dish.

For appetizers, we always order fried calamari. In my opinion, this restaurant has some of the best calamari in Monterey. Big chunks of calamari, battered then fried, served with marinara and tartar sauces and topped with some raw onions. The batter, although light, was crispy, and the calamari is tender, with just a little bite to it. It was not rubbery at all.

The last time, I ordered the Fresh Halibut and Kauai Prawn, which is broiled and topped with a basil butter sauce. It comes with choice of potato and fresh vegetables. I chose a loaded baked potato this time. The fish tasted great, nicely seasoned and cooked right, with no fishy aftertaste, so you know it really is fresh. The prawn was so good; its only downfall was the fact that there was only one, and not two (or more). It was ultimately very satisfying, but the most notable thing about that dish was the bacon on the baked potato. For whatever reason, it tasted like the best bacon I've ever had. It was so crispy and perfect, I didn't want to finish it, yet at the same time, I wanted to devour it.


My husband ordered the Stuffed Salmon. I can't remember exactly what the stuffing was, but I think there was crab meat involved. It came with fresh asparagus, rice pilaf and broccoli. I really like the fish itself, but everything else paled in comparison to my dish. Since I only had a bite, I can't fairly describe the rest of the dish.


We have always had great meals at Isabella's, and the next time we're in Monterey, we are definitely stopping by again.

Isabella's Italian Seafood, 60 Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey
www.isabellasonthewharf.com

0 comments: